Do you have wood siding and are not sure which is the better options between paint and staining? Whether you are building a new house or looking into a historical home exterior restoration, full property renovation North Carolina paint experts D.A.B. Painting is here to help. Read on to learn more about both options as well as learn what questions to ask as you make your big decision.
What is the Difference between Stain & Paint?
So, what exactly is stain and how is it any different from paint? It may seem like basic information, but it is important to first have a clear understanding of what separates these two options from each other. As you read these brief definitions, you may start to see pros and cons emerge that can help you in your decision-making process.
- Stain: Stain was created to soak into wood rather than simply sitting on the wood’s surface. Exterior wood stains are typically made from a combination of pigment (which provides color and protection) and solvents as well as a base of either water or oil.
- Paint: Paint is made of materials that allow it to form a coating on the surface of the wood. Most times a primer coat (either separate or mixed into the paint) is required to help adhere the paint to the wood surface more securely. Paint also has a variety of different finishes to choose from, including flat, semi-gloss and gloss, creating an increasing amount of shine to the paint’s final appearance.
As you can see, both stain and paint have excellent qualities. It’s important to have as much information as possible to make the best decision for your unique home or business. To that end, we will get into more specific benefits of each product.
Benefits of Staining
When breaking down the benefits of stain, it’s important to explain that the benefits of stain we are sharing apply to a traditional low-color stain. There are stains available which have an opaque quality to their color and, in that case, would behave slightly more like a paint than a stain. When talking about traditional transparent or semi-transparent stains, these are the top four benefits:
- No need to prime before staining
- It brings out the natural “personality” of your siding’s wood grain
- Low long-term maintenance
- Zero chipping or cracking
Benefits of Painting
Paint has always been the top pick for those homeowners who crave a dramatic tone to their home’s exterior. It has also traditionally been the go-to option for a wider variety of color options. However, now that stain has seemed to have caught up to paint in that department, it’s important to understand additional perks of choosing paint for your exterior wood siding. The following are D.A.B.’s professional painting contractor in Asheville NC top four benefits:
- Hides wood surface imperfections
- Thicker consistency which may help seal gaps in wood
- Allows homeowner to wash off surface easily for cleaning and maintenance
- Coating ability offers a stronger form of defense against the elements
Unfortunately, paint requires a bit more of an investment when it comes to upkeep. Check out our blog on reasons why your paint cracks to learn a little more about some of the long-term challenges paint can cause (and why it’s important to have a professional help you get the job done right the first time around).
Along with the benefits we’ve already listed above, there are a few questions to consider. We encourage you be well informed on all the following topics when you visit your local paint and stain supplier.
- Which – paint or stain – does your home’s wood exterior currently have on it?
- What type of climate (Moisture amount, potential for UV damage, temperature variation, etc.) does your house exist in?
- What is your product and maintenance budget?
- How important is color variety to you?
- Do you need to observe any subdivision bylaws or restrictions on exterior style/color?
- Is your home considered a historical building which may require attention to specialized material, composition, and/or preservation techniques?
If all these considerations begin to feel overwhelming, it may be beneficial to get a professional consultation or estimate. When you hire D.A.B. Painting to do your exterior painting project, they offer expert advice and insight that will immediately eliminate all the stress of decision making. It’s well worth your time to give us a call – we know how to keep home renovations fun!
The team at D.A.B. Painting does not just paint surfaces, we care about creating high-quality results in every project we take on. From interior to exterior, we take the time to understand the full scope of your home or business’s needs before prepping, restoring, and painting. Our team of home painters are trained problem solvers—ready to update your home in the best way possible for beautiful, long-lasting results. Get in touch today for your free estimate!